Frequently Asked Questions
All the cottages are fully self-contained and should have everything you need for your holiday – all you need to bring is food and drink!
In peak seasons we change over on Saturdays, and book only for a full week (or multiples of weeks) but for most of the year you can take a short break starting on any day of the week. There is a minimum stay of 3 nights.
Use the availability calendars on this website to identify dates available to book, or call us if you are uncertain or just wish to discuss various possibilities. You can book using the secure online booking system on this website or you can call us on 01643 831480. Payment can be made by bank transfer or cheque.
Yes, a non-refundable deposit of 25%, or a minimum of £75, is payable at the time of booking. The balance is due 6 weeks before the start of your holiday. If you book less than 6 weeks from the start of your holiday then the full amount is due at the time of booking.
Yes, we offer a discount for only 2 people using just one bedroom in the larger cottages. This is a 20% discount in Heather Cottage, 15% discount in Bracken Cottage and 10% in Fern Cottage.
You can pay in one of the following ways: securely online by card, or by bank transfer, or by cheque.
We advise that you take out holiday cancellation insurance. This is normally quite cheap. There is a link on our Terms & Conditions page to a company we would recommend. This will cover your non-refundable deposit or your full cost if you have a valid reason to cancel within 6 weeks of the start of your holiday or for the interruption of your holiday.
Normally we ask you to arrive from 3pm and depart by 10.30am. Often the cottages are ready for you before 3pm, so please ask if you want to arrive early.
When you arrive please park in the farmyard. Often we will see you arrive and come out to greet you and show you into your cottage and around the facilities. Otherwise come to the farmhouse to find us. In the rare event that we are not around you should be able to enter the cottage. We will then see you as soon as we return.
No. The price is totally inclusive. [N.B. the washer and dryer in the laundry are £1 coin operated – washing powder is supplied free]
A cot and high chair are available (no charge) in Heather & Bracken Cottages, and these can be made available in Fern Cottage if required. Please bring you own bedding for the cot (although we can provide this if required).
Yes, you can bring up to 5 well behaved dogs to the larger cottages. There is a charge of £2.50 per pet per night.
Yes, normally that is no problem. In the past we have had cats, ferrets, a tortoise and birds of prey!
Yes, the riding on Exmoor is excellent. There are 4 stables for visiting horses. We provide stabling, turnout (subject to condition of the fields), a fully equipped tack room and all the necessary mucking out equipment. There is a charge of £10 per horse per night. Bedding and feed can be provided at cost.
No – but on our website we have put a list of nearby horse hire stables and distances from us, and we can help advise you if required.
We have a few sheep, pygmy goats, chickens and ducks. In the farmhouse we have our 2 dogs.
Yes, all the cottages have full central heating, provided by our biomass boiler.
Yes, all of the cottages have free Wi-Fi. We have superfast broadband (up to 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload) and the TV is connected to the internet so that you can view free On Demand TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand 5, etc.) and Netflix etc. if you have a subscription for these.
Mobile reception is patchy across Exmoor. In some areas of the farm you can get Vodafone and EE/Orange reception. Many of you will be able to make and receive mobile phone calls using ‘Wi-Fi Calling’ through the Wi-Fi in the cottage.
As well as food and drink, you might want to bring wellies!
– A fridge freezer
– An electric oven & hob
– A microwave oven
– An electric kettle
– A teapot
– A cafetiere
– An ironing board and iron
– Full set of cutlery, crockery, glasses, pots & pans etc. (drinking glasses are in a separate cupboard in the living room in Heather, Bracken & Fern Cottages)
– Washing up liquid, cleaning materials, etc.
– Tea towels
– Oven gloves
– All bed linen
– One bath towel for each person
– One hand towel in the bathroom
– Bath and shower mats
– Toilet paper
– A heated towel rail in the bathroom
– A hair dryer (normally in the double bedroom)
– Full central heating and hot water
– Log fires in Heather, Bracken and Fern Cottages. Logs are provided free
– Stair gate in Heather and Bracken Cottages
– A cot and high chair (in Heather & Bracken Cottages)
– Smart Satellite TV (with On Demand TV: BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand 5, etc.)
– DVD player
– Free Wi-Fi
– A vacuum cleaner
– Heather, Bracken & Fern Cottages have baths and a separate shower cubicle.
– Gorse Cottage has a power shower over the bath.
There are log fires in our 3 larger cottages (Heather, Bracken & Fern) with firelighters, logs and kindling provided free of charge. Of course, you shouldn’t need the fires because they all have full central heating – but sometimes it’s nice to have a fire!
– Heather and Fern Cottages have attached, fenced-in gardens, each with a paved area and a lawn plus a table and chairs
– Bracken & Gorse have a shared separate grass garden with tables and chairs
– Rotary washing line
– BBQs are available
– A laundry with £1 coin washer and dryer (washing powder is supplied free)
– If you just need to dry your damp clothes and boots after a day out, then the laundry also acts as a warm drying room
– A games room with pool, table football and darts.
– There is a secure room for bicycles
– You have full access to our fields, woodland and the river. There is a swing on a tree and ropes over the river.
Yes, Fern Cottage is all on one level with no steps, but is not specifically equipped for disabled access. See our Access Statement for more detail.
Our nearest village is Exford, less than 2 miles away. It has two pubs, a tea room and a village shop. Here is a list of some of the pubs and restaurants in our area of Exmoor, and their distance from us.
All the cottages are equipped with feather and down duvets and pillows. If you wish these to be replaced with man-made fibres please contact us in advance.